Friday, March 12, 2010

Asunción frustrations

I am finally about to leave Asunción tomorrow morning after having spent 3 days here. Usually coming to the city is a nice, relaxing break from life in the campo and while I was able to relax a bit in the hotel, the overall stay has been more unpleasant than expected.
After having such great success with the tree planting project, the farmer's committee has decided to do the project again. For those of you that probably forgot, we were able to write up a contract with a tabacalera (tobacco producers) in the nearest town. We were to sell them 10,000 tree seedlings that they would plant in order to abide by the governments regulations. Tabacaleras must plant trees to make up for all the wood used in the drying process of tobacco. The project was a huge success and the committee made a substantial chunk of change. This year they decided to do it again, but wanted to grow more trees and different varieties as well as produce extra to plant around the community. This is fantastic.
I knew of a government organization (who will remain nameless) who specifically supplies projects like this one with either tree seeds or saplings. So, I had the men draw up a grant proposal with all the right documents and I, myself, wrote one up just as a backup.
I came into Asunción and went to the office of said organization. Once there I was sent back and forth to different offices, getting different signatures and stamps. After an hour of this I was finally sent to where they house their seeds. I made the trek out their only to be told that the forms hadn't been signed by some guy who happened to be out for the day. Could I come back in a week? I was furious. I was sitting in the room with literally tons of seeds and all I needed was one kilo of seeds. This was for an amazing project by a group of very poor people who are just trying to make extra money as well as make their community a better place. I wanted to just shake this guy who wouldnt give me seeds. It felt more like trying to take a loan out than getting tree seeds. The thing that really frustrated me the most was that there is no way a guy from my site with a 5th grade education could ever get into a place like this without being intimidated or understanding all the beauracracy of it all. I sure didn't. But the whole reason for this organization is to give out seeds for reforrestation projects and/or projects that help the development of poor communities, like the one I live in.
So, I left, seedless. I will call them every day until they give me seeds.

But, there is one good thing that happened out of this trip. Earlier this afternoon I picked up 24 brandnew glasses for the people had them made at the Fundación Visión visit. I am very excited to atleast be able to go back to site with these for my community.

No comments: