Monday, February 9, 2009

Back in site

Asuncion was a much needed break from my site. I got a lot done, including buying a hammock, visiting the dentist, picking up packages, getting bee gear, watching the superbowl, and just hanging out by the pool with friends. I went to the hooters in asuncion to watch the superbowl since that was the one place that we knew for sure had the game. It was my first time in a Hooters.....probably my last.
Things in site are going well. A lot of the usual stuff. My house is still far from done and I want to be living in it by march since peace corps says thats when I can live alone....but I dont think it will be ready by then. Either way, im learning to let go. Things will come when the time is right.
Im reading Canterbury Tales as well as How to think like Leonardo Da Vinci. Both are great books. The Da Vinci book has been a big help on those frustrating days and how I can change my attitude to make the best out of any situation.

It is sesame harvest time in my community. I went out with a couple farmers to cut down sesame. The plant has one stem which is about shoulder height and along it are these little pods which hold the sesame seeds. When the plants are yellowing you cut them down with a machete. By the way, using a machete is one of the fine perks of the job! There is nothing like weilding a heavy, razor sharp machete. I can hear my mom saying ''I hope you are being careful, david''. After hearing stories of volunteers nearly lopping off toes and gaping wounds, I make sure I use it with care. Anyways, the day after cutting the sesame we go back out to the field and prop it up like a teepee and let it dry. Ill try to take some pictures soon for you all to see, it is an interesting process. Sadly, the sesame isnt great this year. My community has suffered a drier than normal season along with a plague of aphids. Ive talked to them about using natural, homemade pesticides but they are hesitant. These homemade pesticides honestly arent great for very large farms and need to be applied more than one time but are free and nontoxic. The farmers know this but usually still stick with the toxic nasty stuff. I have to remember to respect their decision, even if I do not agree with it. What I can do, however, is show them the correct and safe way of using these pesticides since most of them just dump the whole thing in their fumigator, add some water and go out to the field with no protection and the wind blowing in their face. Very dangerous.

No comments: