Friday, August 21, 2009

What a week..

I have been back in site now for a week. What a week. This has probably been the hardest week in Paraguay. All the doubts, the frustrations, the loneliness, that I had experienced and worked through during my first 8 months all came back within the first couple days in site. It was bad. I was angry, then depressed, then lonely and so forth. It was mainly just dealing with the people that got me so frustrated. I came back to the same old empty conversations, the perverted men, the laughing at animal abuse and so forth. The urge to repack my bags and go home was very, very strong. I knew it was going to be hard being back, but I dont think I could have prepared myself for the feelings I have felt this past week. That being said, I am feeling better everyday and am able to spend more and more time with my community members. It just takes time to readjust and get back into the rhythm of things. After sitting down and really trying to figure out what was going on I determined that all these feelings were just different manifestations of intense homesickness. And, as it did before, the homesickness will pass. As long as I keep myself busy working, reading, exercising, I feel fine. Surrounding myself with people I want to talk to, people who have interesting things to say is also a big help.
I will get through this, and things will get back to normal. It is just a matter of time.

Since I put you all through that downer of a blogpost I will repay you in pictures! Enjoy!



Check this out. This is a little project I have been working on with one of the farmers. We planted the pineapple, and in between we planted corn. Usually the farmers just let the land in between the rows grow weeds, or they just hoe it all the time. Why not use as much of it as possible? So we planted corn in between the rows and melons in between others. AND on top of that we planted a green manure that grows tall and gives good shade in between the melons and corn...a triple whammy! The green manure will replenesh the earth and protect the pineapples from getting sun scorched in the summer.




The kids brushing their teeth after recess. The program works! Look at those teeth.


School Garden..not bad eh?

These are what I found in my garden when I came home...eat your heart out Carrboro Farmers Market.

No comments: