Thursday, May 27, 2010

The schooling continues

Work in the school is continuing and extremely enjoyable. The only frustrations have been in dealing with the teachers and setting up times, as well as their participating in the teaching activities. My way of teaching is different from what is traditionally done in the school systems here and I hope that teachers may see something useful in new teaching methods.
When I first told them I wanted the kids to do a majority of the work in the garden, the teachers were a bit hesitant and told me that the parents do the work. This was the exact opposite purpose of the school garden. It is there to teach children about gardening and then use the produce to make healthy snacks. The garden can also be used to teach other subjects such as science and math. Regardless, I pushed the teachers and more or less demanded that the kids work with me. Needless to say, the kids had so much fun. We prepared seed beds for our tree seeds. Discussed the advantages of making raised beds and giving them a good batch of fertilizer. From there we also prepared our garden beds and vegetable seed beds. We talked about companion planting and started planting some vegetables.
The kids were so much fun in the garden. Not only were they excellent workers, but they showed more interest in the topics and actually wanted to learn about the garden - something I can't say about all the adults I work with.


Cleaning the garden.

Preparing the tree seedbed.

Preparing one of the garden beds.

Students and teachers worked side by side.




Planting Swiss Chard alongside with carrots.

No comments: