Wednesday, October 8, 2008

ryguasu chivivi

Mbae teko.
Today I am in Asuncion, about an hour from my little village. We were given different objectives and places to go to in San Lorenzo and Asuncion. I was told to go to the minstry of Agriculture and the University of Asuncion to ask about apiculture (beekeeping). The bus system here is pretty good...cheap and they drop you off anywhere on the road. I didnt get lost and was not pickpocketed. I had extra time in Asuncion so I am able to sit in this tiny cyber cafe. Afterwards ill get some lunch and hit the peace corps office.
Life in the village is good..havnt gotten sick yet. Food is heavy cream sauce, rice, mandio (cassava), spaghetti. When I get meat it is usually chewey beef, vegetables are really good. Excellent tomates ha pakova (nanners). The eggs are amazing, they are usually just found outside left by the neighborhood chickens. The yolk is bright orange and muy muy rico! I went out the other night with my aunt and her bf to Ita, which is a bigger city by my home and got a hamburger: beef burger, fried egg, lettuce, tomate, ham, cheese. Super rico. We got to visit a beekeeping site and I had my first dose of thousands and thousands of angry africanizd bees. Didnt get stung.
Saturday I visit a volunteer about 5 hours away so that should be fun. Paraguay has a big futbol match against Colombia so I expect some serious partying.

I was going to upload some pictures but I wasnt expecting to get to a computer today so maybe next time I can post a few. The weather has be great, a bit chilly at night and around 70s during the day. But they say soon it will get HOT...bring it on. Still havnt gotten sick, I think India made me a hardened traveller. My guarani is getting better by the day, in fact my family is a bit surprised at how quickly I am picking it up. Still, I can barely form sentences. It is very interesting...for instance, if you are asking a question you add Pa to the end of the noun. for instance: Mboy aƱopa nde rereko = how old are you...literally How many yearsquestion you youhave. Not terribly hard but still tricky.
My family is great, I make them laugh and I usually understand most of what they say. The two little boys are loud and a handful......but I always put on a smile. They call me tio david...thats right....uncle dave! I need to get going . Jajotopata!!

ps. the tittle of this post, yguasu chivivi, is sort of an inside joke in our group of crop extensionists, it literally translates to chicken diarhea. I appologize for my spelling, the more I learn spanish and guarani the worse my english gets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing well! The only thing that you are missing in America is It's Always Sunny....amazing. Bye Uncle Dave....ew.

Fallon said...

tell me about it. when i go to visit my asian family, my english takes a serious hit. also, in costa rica, "beef" burgers weren't anything like the burgers in the us of a. its what i always miss most about america... besides you, of course.