Monday, March 30, 2009

Quick post

Alright. Gotta make this one brief. Im going to a meeting at Plan Paraguay with some volunteers. Plan is a NGO that does the adopt a child type program, but they also have lots of surplus cash which they use for projects like school gardens etc. We are planning on doing some type of Earth Day festival in Santani with Plan. After that Im back to the community to work in the school garden.
Whats new? Well, im eating well. As my act of rebellion against paraguayan food and the last sixish months of eating it, I eat almost all raw vegetables...lots of salads and beans. I also have been cooking soy since it is cheap, abundant and way way better than the grissle. For example, yesterday for lunch I made a salad of cabbage, carrots, beets, avocado (huge tree in the neighbors yard), tomato, and a dressing made of some soy sauce, fresh squeezed lime, coriander seeds, pepper, and a bit of honey. It was a true delight. The paraguayans looked at it in utter disgust. "David, are you really going to eat that?" "You know if you eat those together you might die" "You are crazy" Yes...I am crazy, but let me tell you...that salad was the best thing Ive eaten here in a long time. I fed it to some of my friends and they loved it, their eyes lit up.
So far Ive made yogurt, paneer, and currently I have mead fermenting. For those that dont know, mead is the ancient fermented honey brew. Im really excited. Im always thinking of things to make, it makes those slow days go by faster.
It´s still hot...whats up with that? I keep asking my neighbors "Where is autumn??" Soon it will come. We shall see. Oh, UNC is in the final four...so so awesome. They most certainly will win. Sadly I wont be able to jump over any fires on Franklin street. Maybe I will start one in the middle of my road and jump over it that night? That would certainly seal the deal for the Paraguayans that I AM crazy!

No comments: