Friday, May 22, 2009

Gardens

Im in Santani today for a garden workshop at one of the local NGOs. A PC volunteer put on the workshop, I brought a contact from site and it was very beneficial. The whole concept was gardening at schools and how to use the garden as a teaching tool. There was a lot of great information and the Paraguayans got a lot out of it.
Things in site have been....okay. Ive been dealing with a lot of guilt lately, associated with the down time as well as general things like being American. I feel guilty about the things I had growing up, education, loving family etc a lot of things these people dont have or even know about. But I know it is silly to feel guilty about things that I cant control. Either way, the guilt is there. It is funny, all volunteers feel extremely guilty. Everyone I have talked to feels the same guilt: feeling like we arent doing enough, guilt when leaving site for Asuncion or other volunteer sites, etc. In fact, in our last PC Paraguay newspaper there was a big article written by a 3rd year volunteer who now is a coordinator about guilt. It is something that eventually fades...atleast thats what they all say. I know it will lessen, I just need to find a way of coping with it. I think the first thing to do with such guilt is to aknowledge it, which I have. Next comes.....well, I dont know. We will see. Getting out of site, just for today was actually a big help in dealing with it.
Im also taking a little mental health break and going into Asuncion the first week of June. I plan on just relaxing in my hotel bed and watching tv, maybe go see a movie, eat decent food and just relax, be alone and unwind. It may sound silly that I need time to be alone considering I live in the middle of nowhere in my own house, but the only real time I am alone is when Im laying in bed and even then Im not alone because people or kids will come over early in the morning or when Im getting ready to sleep.
Anyway, I have some pictures of my garden I wanted to post but it doesnt seem to work. Ill try to post them later. If it doesnt work you all should know that my garden is rockin! I ate my first beet from the garden, which was the size of my fist, and it was very tasty.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

David, glad to see you're doing well. This blog is great and your pictures look amazing (but post more of the grilled meat).