Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hard week





My house in the works. The pictures start from most recent to the first day of work. It is coming together slowly.

I had to take a day in to the city for myself, just because ive been pretty frustrated lately. Before I get into all of this, you all should know that this IS normal for the first 3 months and it gets better. Atleast thats what everyone has told me, which helps. Anyways, things are frustrating. A lot of the culture, ie the food, the music (they play the same 4 songs, very loud, all day) and the general flakeyness. Also, they know I am new and im trying VERY hard to learn their language, and it hasnt been that long that ive been here but I still can understand that they are making comments or making fun of me. They do it as playful joking around, but when you get it everyday it really starts to bother you. And honestly, I wouldnt mind a bit more respect. I know Im new and I cant speak their language very well but I treat all of them with the utmost respect and I feel that it would be nice to get a little back considering that I have come here to work with them and help them on my own free will. But whatever. I realize that their culture is not MY culture, and that is something I have to tell myself everyday because even though I may not like it and I may disagree with it, it doesn´t make it wrong. I´m sure if they came into the US they would feel the exact same way towards our culture and that is something that I have to accept. Okay, sorry for that mini bitch session, but it was necessary.

Anyways, Ive been running almost everyday which really helps with my mood and also burning off the empenadas and chickenfried steaks. I run about 30 minutes and will continually try and up my time. Christmas was interesting, we ate dinner at midnight on xmas eve and then they shot off pistols and shotguns. The next day I went to a waterhole to swim which was a lot of fun. New years I will prob go to a party, we will see.

Ive started working on another garden by my house that we are building. It will be a small herb and flower garden.

I continue reading, a lot. Im just about done with A walk in the woods by bill bryson, which is AMAZING. SO hilarious and really interesting, it almost makes me want to do the AT...almost. This will be my 5th book completed in less then a month. Im going to read a LOT over the next two years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see people doing some good. Keep up the good work

- Woodworking Ideas

- Honey Beekeeping